One of the best things about creating healthy desserts is that they can also double as a nutritious breakfast. It's just all in the way the ingredients are put together!
A lemon cake lends itself nicely as a spring base with a variety of different berries as natural companions. One of my all time favorite combinations is lemon with raspberries. Paired together in a delicious torta, this is one you'll want to serve for breakfast, dessert or bring to a spring buffet.
A springform pan is recommended for this recipe as it will make the serving of this cake that much smoother.
Pro Tip: For any berries you put inside your cake, chop and distribute sparingly and evenly. Too many berries will weigh down the cake.
Lemon Raspberry Torta
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal (what you'd use for cornbread)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- A dash of sea salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup greek non-fat plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup 100% real pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Zest of two lemons
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- Handful of raspberries (plus more for after-baking decorating if desired)
- Powdered sugar on top after baking if desired
- Preheat over to 350 F. Grease a 9-inch springform pan
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Whisk to thoroughly incorporate.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs. Slowly add in the maple syrup, olive oil, greek yogurt and lemon zest. Once mixed stir in both the lemon and orange juice. Add the wet to the dry ingredients and thoroughly combine.
Batter should be airy and light. Add to springform pan. Roughly chop your handful of raspberries and strategically place in the pan.
Bake for 30 minutes until the cake is lightly brown. Let the cake completely cool prior to garnishing with additional berries and powdered sugar.
Although you can serve immediately, I find this cake tastes best after being refrigerated for at least a few hours. It travels well!
Tried this recipe? Tag @perfectly_nourished on Insta.
Hi! I'm a Certified Health Coach, Wellness Advocate